How to get help if someone reports you to the ministry
Reasons someone might report you
It's the law that anyone who believes a child is being abused or neglected must make a report to the Ministry of Children and Family Development. Listed below are some of the reasons someone might report you or your child to the ministry.
Concerns about your child's health and safety
- Your baby is seriously underweight and not doing well.
- Your child is behaving in a violent manner and acting out at school.
- Your child is involved in prostitution, illegal drugs, or criminal activities.
- Your child tells a teacher or someone else about being sexually abused.
- Your child has unexplained bruises, broken bones, or burns.
Concerns about your parenting
- You leave your child alone or with an unsafe babysitter.
- You regularly send your child to school without lunch or proper clothing.
- You and your partner fight violently in front of your children.
- You use physical punishment, for example, spanking or hitting with a belt, a wooden spoon, or a stick.
- You threaten your child with physical harm or cruel punishment.
Back to: Previous