Family justice counsellors

Family justice counsellors can give you information about the law and about the Provincial (Family) Court process. Family justice counsellors are government employees who work at Family Justice Centres, which are located across the province (sometimes in the local courthouse). These centres offer a range of services, including:

  • information and referrals,
  • help filling out family court forms,
  • mediation and conciliation services, and
  • help planning a separation agreement.

Family justice counsellors aren't lawyers and they don't act for you. They can't help you get a divorce or with other Supreme Court matters. They work with both spouses or parents to try to resolve the matter at hand.

In some communities, the Provincial Court is "designated" under Provincial Court (Family) Rule 5 to promote settling issues outside the courtroom. Couples who separate in these communities must meet with a family justice counsellor before registry staff will set a first appearance date for their cases.

To contact a family justice counsellor, call Service BC at:

  • 604-660-2421 (Greater Vancouver),
  • 250-387-6121 (Victoria), or
  • 1-800-663-7867 (no charge, elsewhere in BC).

Ask to transfer to a family justice counsellor near you. You don't need to pay for the call.

For more information, see Family Justice Counsellors in Family Justice Centres in the Family Justice section of the Ministry of Justice website.